Map of Cemetery
1. Gate of Remembrance 2. Arthur Hair Reception Centre 3. Currie Circle 4. Flagstaff 5. Commonwealth War Graves Memorial 6. Air Force Memorial 7. Army Memorial 8. Navy Memorial 9. De Salaberry Circle and Veterans Memorial 10. D’Urban Circle 11. Peace Circle 12. Water Garden 13. Columbarium
   

1.  Gate of Remembrance and Chapel

 

At the entrance to the National Field of Honour stands the Gate of Remembrance, a medieval-style arch flanked by twin towers. Built in 1937 with funds donated by the public and the City of Pointe-Claire, it serves as a memorial of all those who made the supreme sacrifice for their country. An ecumenical chapel was added in the south tower in 1973 with funds endowed by former Last Post Fund director Bruce Brown.

 

2.  Arthur Hair Reception Centre

 

This building named after the founder of the Last Post Fund was also donated by Bruce Brown.  From 1975 to 2005, it was used as the groundskeeper’s residence.  It was subsequently converted into a reception and documentation centre where visitors can find information on the cemetery and the veterans interred here.

 

   
 

3.  Currie Circle

 

In the midst of the circle stands the Cross of Sacrifice, a five-metre (16.4 feet) granite monument erected on 24 May 1934 as a tribute to General Sir Arthur Currie who commanded the Canadian Corps in the First World War.  President of the Last Post Fund from 1924 to 1932, he then became McGill University’s Principal and Vice-Chancellor.  Sir Currie passed away in 1933 and is buried in the Montreal Mount Royal Cemetery.

 

On 30 June 1947, Arthur Hair was the first person to be interred in the Currie Circle, also known as the Directors’s Circle as it is reserved for Last Post Fund officials.

 

4.  Flagstaff

 

An impressive 22-metre (72 feet) metal flagstaff displays Canada’s national flag.  Formely a ship mast, it was donated by Canada Steamship Lines and erected in 1930 by Dominion Bridge.  The peak of the flagstaff originally held a Lamp of Remembrance, often lit at sundown by Arthur Hair who cherished this task.

 

 
 

5.  Memorial of the Commonwealth War Graves Commission

 

This monument installed by the Commonwealth War Graves Commission bears the names of veterans whose final resting place has been lost.  Established in England in 1917, the Commission marks and maintains the graves of Commonwealth veterans who were killed in the two World Wars. For many years, it worked closely with the Last Post Fund to end grave recycling by cemeteries that reused old grave plots. Thanks to their advocacy, this practice is no longer allowed in Québec.

 

6.  Air Force Memorial

 

This monument was dedicated in 2003 to the memory of Canadian and Allied Air Forces veterans.  The propeller and accessories were donated by Laurentide Aviation.  The stone monument itself is a gift from Flight Lieutenant Howard Ripstein, a former director of the Last Post Fund Québec Branch.

 

 
 

7.  Army Memorial

 

This 15-centimetre (6 in.) cannon commemorates the memory of Canadian and Allied soldiers who made the supreme sacrifice of their lives.  It was donated by the Canadian Army in 1999.

 

8.  The Navy Memorial

 

Dedicated to the memory of Canadian and Allied sailors, the anchor was donated by the Canadian Forces Longue-Pointe Garrison in 1998.

 

 
 

9.  De Salaberry Circle and Veterans Memorial

 

This Circle is named after Lieutenant Colonel Charles-Michel de Salaberry (1778-1829), a French-Canadian nobleman.  Leading the Canadian troops who halted the advance of invading American forces in 1812 at the Battle of Crysler’s Farm, he also commanded and served in the Bristish-Canadian army assigned to then Lower Canada.

 

In the midst of this Circle stands the Veterans Memorial, dedicated to the memory of all Canadian men and women who died in the First and Second World Wars and the Korean War.

 

10.  D’Urban Circle

 

In this circle are the oldest graves in the National Field of Honour: those soldiers who fought in campaigns in Canada and around the world as long ago as the 18th century: the Fenian Raids, the Napoleonic Wars, including the battle of Waterloo, the War of 1812…  They were originally interred in the Papineau Military Cemetery, used by the British Forces from 1814 to 1869 and located in downtown Montreal.  As it stood in the path of a future access road to the Jacques-Cartier Bridge, the cemetery had to be moved away.

 

Relocating the remains of hundreds of burials while preserving the old headstones was the most formidable single project in the history of the Last Post Fund.  Since the first burials had taken place 130 years earlier, identification proved to be difficult considering the poor state of the records and severe deterioration of the headstones.  Fortunately in May 1944, Sydney Ham volunteered to compile a comprehensive roster of the soldiers buried in the Papineau Cemetery.  His formidable contribution to the remembrance of veterans long passed away cannot be overstated.

 

In five days, the remains of 1,797 burials were exhumed and brought here, together with the headstones you see around this Circle.  The transfer was completed on 21 July 1944 with full military honours.

 

The obelisk at the center of the Circle marks the grave of Sir Benjamin D’Urban.  It was erected by his former comrades at the old Papineau Cemetery and transfered here in 1944.  General D’Urban was commander of the British Forces in North America.  He died in Canada in 1849.  This remarkable administrator is chiefly remembered for his frontier policy as governor in the Cape Colony (South Africa).  The city of Durban is named after him.  As a soldier, D’Urban began his service in 1793 and fought in the Napoleonic Wars, where he won distinction in the Peninsular War as a quartermaster general.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

11.  Peace Circle

 

 The Peace Circle was dedicated in 1997, after Canada changed its definition of veterans to include those who had served on duty around the world in the service of peace.  Jean Bernard, a World War II Royal Canadian Air Force veteran, designed the Peace Monument.  It shows a dove of peace perched atop a single block of pink granite inscribed Paix—Peace.  The monument was funded through donations from Veterans Affairs Canada, the Royal Canadian Legion Québec Command, the Montral division of the Canadian Corps of Commissionaires and the ABN-AMRO Bank of Canada.

 

 
 

12.  Water Garden

 

This memorial water garden was erected in memory of Canadian soldiers buried in the Brookwood Cemetery in Surrey, England.  It was funded by the Estate of Doug Ferguson in North Battleford, Saskatchewan and by the Last Post Fund Québec Branch.  The garden is intended to mirror the tranquil reflection of the Peace monument.

 

13.  Columbarium

 

The last stop on this walking tour is a 12-unit granite columbarium.  It was opened in 2005 to commemorate the Year of the Veteran.  The columbarium offers a choice of over 800 exterior niches to contain funerary urns.